Alexandria's Little Corner of the World


Special Delivery From Portugal

Today it was very windy. Mild for January -- 4 degrees celsius -- but very windy. As I was driving home from the dermatologist at 1:15 in the afternoon, I could feel the wind from inside my car. At times I had to tighten my grip on the steering wheel to keep control of the car because it felt like the wind was moving it from side to side.

So my appointment at the dermatologist was at 11:45 a.m. I left the house at 11:20 as it takes about 10 minutes to get there and it can take just as long to find a parking spot there. (The dermatologist's office is in the medical building next to the hospital, which is where my massage therapist is, and it's actually taken me 10 minutes to find a parking spot because the lot is so small and it's one way paths, so you have to circle the entire parking lot if you've just driven past an empty spot.) I was a bit worried that I might be late for the appointment. Being a first-time patient you always have to fill out a ton of paper work. I shouldn't have been worried, because not only did I find a parking spot within minutes of getting there, but I had a nice long wait ahead of me. I didn't get into see the dermatologist until 1 p.m. -- more than an hour after my actual appointment. To quote the woman next to me, "this wait is scandalous I tell you, absolutely scandalous."

And I actually only saw the dermatologist for about five minutes. Enough time for her to tell me that my body is "stubborn" and isn't responding as expected to the various forms of medication I've been on to counteract the hives I've had since November. She has me on stronger prescription medication.

Not much else to report other than this picture from the dermatologist office:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Back home is where the real treat was. Amidst the gas bill and the long distance phone bill, was a big envelope from Portugal. I wondered what it could be and from whom. After the two hours spent going and waiting at the dermatologist and the windy drive home I didn't care if it was the hydro bill in Portuguese, I was just excited for some personal mail!

It turned out to be a special New Year's gift from my friend Teresa.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was really surprised to receive a gift from her for New Year's as she had only the month before sent me a beautiful dragonfly pin for my birthday and had e-mailed me a beautiful card for Christmas and then another one for New Year's. I am even using the "Max the Dog" bookmark she sent me for my birthday in the book I am reading during my train rides to and from work.

She's so thoughtful! We've never met and have only gotten to know each other better since last fall with the start of The Royal Realm, but she has been wonderfully positive, enthusiastic and supportive and immensely generous with her time and her gifts.

It's amazing how there are such generous people in this world, who support and encourage you from thousands of miles away unconditionally and without demanding anything from you in return.

Labels:

1 Responses to “Special Delivery From Portugal”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    THE DRAGONFLY

    In a very beautifull place, there were trees, flowers and a pretty lake…
    Certain day appeared a cocoon…
    When it breached itself, from inside left flying a pretty dragonfly.
    And she was so delighted with the place, that flied over each small piece…
    Played in the flowers, trees, the lake, clouds…
    E when she already had known everything… in the high of a hill, she sighted a house…
    The house of the man… and the dragonfly had to know the house of the man… and went flying there….
    Then, the dragonfly entered through a window, the window of the kitchen…
    On this day, a great party was prepared
    A man with great a white hat…… gave orders for the servant…
    But the dragonfly was not worried about this, played between crystals, saw her reflex in the silver tray, explored each small piece of that new world…
    When suddenly, she saw on the table… clouds in a bowl!
    And the dragonfly did not resist, she adored to play in clouds… and dived….
    But when she dived… ahhhhhhhh… that was not clouds, and she was stuck, and the more she moved herself trying to escape… ahhhhhh… plus she sank….
    So the dragonfly started to pray, made promises and said that if she achieved to get out of there she would dedicate the remaining portion of her days to help the flying insects… and she praid and asked for…

    Until the head of the kitchen started hearing a noise, and he didn't know it was the dragonfly praying and when looking to the bowl … arghhhh an insect! And he caught the dragonfly and sent it out through the window…

    The dragonfly then, dragged for a bit of gram, and under the sun started to clean… and when she saw she was free… ahhhhh she was so tired that turned to God and said:
    - I promised to dedicate the remaining portion of my life to help other flying insects, but now I am so tired, so I promise to fulfill my promise after tomorrow…
    And the dragonfly fall asleep… But what she didn't know, and you also don't know, is that the dragonflies live only one day… And in that small piece of gram, the dragonfly fell asleep, and did not wake up….

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



    Dear Alexandria,


    I always remember this bhudist legend when I think of people I love; what if I die tomorrow without telling them - "I like you!" "I miss you!" "I am thinking of you!" "This is your face!" "Good Morning!"
    And the simple fact I got a huge mention in your Blog for such a small gift proves I was right for not waiting for your birthday, or other special occasion - there's only a moment - my now and yours is when Post Office determine LOLOLOLOLOL.


    Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things.



    Thank you for your mention but Thank you even more for being the Wonderful and Thoughtful Person you are!!!

    There are moments I feel happy that some people made you miserable and pushed you away (Buh for them!!!), I love left-overs... and if comes on friend' size - PERRRRRRFEEEECCCCT!!!!


    Teresa  

Post a Comment



© 2006 Alexandria's Little Corner of the World | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health