Alexandria's Little Corner of the World


My Winter Project

Every season I feel like I need a special project, something to absorb my time with so that I'm not just floundering around on the couch, watching TV mindlessly. And it seems that every winter I find myself knitting myself a new scarf. Last year I knit myself a soft, rosey pink one and this year I am knitting myself a dark purple, lilac and fuschia one. I rediscovered the yarn while tidying up the other night. It was left over from the hat I knit myself in the fall, that I never got to wear because it hasn't been cold enough to require a knit cap. (Until today anyways. Some parts of Ontario got snow, enough for the northern part of the province to open their ski runs, and it was certainly quite windy that I really did have to bundle up when I went out at lunch time to grab a coffee with a co-worker.)

I am by no means a fast knitter, and even as a slow knitter I am by no means a good knitter whose every purl and stitch is perfect. But I rather like the little mistakes I make here and there; I think they give my scarves "character" in the imperfections. (My mom always undoes them and makes them perfect if she ever sees them however.)

I remember when I was little marvelling at how quickly my mom and my grandma could knit. Their hands would be flying with the needles and the bundle of yarn would be getting smaller and smaller by the minute. Plus they could knit while watching TV, looking down every couple of seconds. Me, I have to totally concentrate on the knitting. The TV can be on, but it might as well be the radio because I cannot look at the screen.

So, like with all of my knitting projects, my mom had to cast the scarf for me, but then it was all up to me. I have the most trouble knitting from the front for some reason, while knitting from the back is no problem. So far it looks okay; it's something I'd certainly wear proudly and say that I knit it myself! If I have left over yarn, I will ask my grandma to make mittens for me.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Labels:

0 Responses to “My Winter Project”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Alexandria's Little Corner of the World | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health