Alexandria's Little Corner of the World


From Portugal With Love

Yesterday I took the day off from work to head out to some appointments, ranging from a massage appointment (good thing, too, since I woke up with a crink in my neck which Nancy helped to sort out) to one with the dermatologist (again), then to the bank to buy RRSPs and to renew expired RRSPs and finally to the library to pick up my copy of Murder in Amsterdam by Ian Buruma, which Emily from TRR recommended. By the time all those appointments were done, it was 2:30 p.m. and I hadn't had lunch and I was exhausted.

On the way home I stopped by the mailbox, which is around the corner from my house. (I have a "smartbox" which is common in new developments. It saves the postal people from having to walk door to door to deliver your mail. Instead they have boxes with nine to twelve "cubbies" in each of them, each of which has a key. Each cubby is assigned to a home and that is where you get your mail. When the postal person goes to deliver the mail, he or she can open all of the cubbies at once and just slot your mail in.)

So stuffed into my little cubby (this always wrecks the bigger issues of my magazines) were two big envelopes from Portugal! I was hungry and tired and it was cold and windy, but I wanted to stand right there and rip them both open. They were both from Teresa, of course. (Who else do I know from Portugal?!) But I got ahold of myself and was able to carry the packages home first and somehow I was able to make it through the door and take off my jacket, scarf, mittens and hat before ripping into the packages.

She sent me a beautiful black heart-shaped necklace for Valentine's Day. Here I was feeling a wee bit sad for myself that I was single on Valentine's Day yet my parents thought of me and all across the oceans, so was Teresa. The lesson: Even if you're single on Valentine's Day, there are still people who love you and fill your heart. And coincidentally, I was looking for a black necklace last week, having realized that I had necklaces in a variety of colours yet I had these black sweaters with no matching accessories.

In the second package, she sent me beautiful blank notebooks in two different sizes. They are from the company her husband works for. They have beautiful antique-looking pictures, some in sepia tones, which just adds to the vintage feel of the pictures. The photographer is named Ricardo Oliveira. The little notebook is just perfect to slip into my purse for notes and reminders to myself of things I come across. I will need to come up with a special use for the bigger notebook. I don't want to "waste" it by filling it with mindless thoughts. Such a special notebook from across the oceans deserves a special purpose.

This afternoon I watched a few minutes of Oprah, which she discussed the notion of karma essentially. The point was that all of your actions have led you to the point in your life you are at presently. So all the things I have put out in the world for the past 27 years have gotten me to this day. I don't know what I did to deserve someone like Teresa in my life, who is so thoughtful and endless in her support. But I am truly greatful.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Labels: ,

0 Responses to “From Portugal With Love”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Alexandria's Little Corner of the World | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health