Alexandria's Little Corner of the World


Snow Day!

Today it's a snow day. Or at least a self-imposed one for me.

Yesterday we got walloped with our biggest snow storm of the season. Although the meterologists had warned of the storm, it actually came earlier than anticipated, starting shortly after 1 p.m. and causing white out conditions very quickly. And something I've never seen before, despite having lived 27 years in Canada: Snow accompanied by lightening.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

We were sent home early and even though I left the office shortly after 2 p.m., I did not get home until 6:16 p.m.! Firstly, the GO bus was standing room only. And it took us more than an hour just to get out of the downtown core and onto the highway. Then when we finally pulled into the station, we were stuck at the entrance for a good ten minutes because cars were not moving at all. There was a bit of a "riot" on our bus with some people wanting the bus driver just to let people off in the middle of the road so that they could try and catch the train which was coming in eight minutes. (He did, and I ran breathlessly to the train platform. Note to self: Start working out so that you don't get breathless running a few miles.)

This is actually the lineup I was in! These two people were from my bus ride because the guy in the wool cap and I was talking while waiting in line and the woman in the mint mittens and I both realized that we were getting off at the same station and were trying to decide if we should get off the bus and try to hop on the train.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Overnight the soft snow stopped and instead ice pellets began to fall. All night long I could hear the ice pellets hitting my window.

This morning I woke up to find that my street has been plowed and as such, there is now a foot and a half of snow at the end of my driveway, which my sporty little car with its skirt cannot get through because it's icy snow. I thought about gunning my car in reverse but my neighbour said that earlier someone else had done that and reversed so fast and hard that he reversed right into the car in the driveway opposite of it. I don't want to take my chances with doing that and having a rear bumper to rear bumper accident on my own street.

There is also flooding in parts of the province along with reported black ice and power is down in parts of the city. I called CAA but apparently it's an hour and a half to two hours to get my car unstuck and I am not considered a priority since my car being stuck in my driveway doesn't pose a danger to other people. Their priority is to get to the people stuck on the roads and highways.

Plus it's a Friday, so a nice long weekend is quite attractive.

Labels:

0 Responses to “Snow Day!”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Alexandria's Little Corner of the World | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health