Alexandria's Little Corner of the World


Lost Lunch Saga

So this is the story of my lost lunch.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

This afternoon, around 12:30 p.m. I went to one of our mini kitchens to get my lunch. It was actually my lunch from Monday but as I wasn't feeling well on Monday, I didn't eat it. But today I was feeling better and looking forward to even two-day old vegetable lasagna. When I got to the fridge, I couldn't find my lasagna. I turned the fridge inside out looking for my little blue tupperware container. I pulled out bags and bottles, I even opened up plastic grocery bags and peeked inside to see if perhaps my tupperware container had been mistakenly put in one of the bags. No tupperware with lasagna in it. So I proceeded to go to the big kitchen upstairs, thinking that perhaps someone mistakenly carried it up there. I searched both of the big fridges. No lasagna. I then went back downstairs and to the other side of the office to look at the other mini fridge. No lasagna.

I went over to a couple of co-workers to tell them about my missing lunch. I wasn't really upset or angry. I was just so shocked by someone's gumption to eat someone else's lunch. In my two years at that office that had never happened to me before. My three co-workers got riled up on my behalf though. One of them suggested that I walk around the office to see who was eating lasagna for lunch and say "J'accuse" when I caught them red handed. When I refused to, the other two volunteered to do it for me. Then came the silly suggestions: Take a picture of lasagna (from the internet) and turn it into a "WANTED" poster or have our receptionist send out a mass e-mail asking for my lunch back. Then my friends (bless them for humouring me about all of this!) created a "profile" of the lunchtime bandit: It must be a forgetful guy who didn't pack his lunch because someone else did, like a girlfriend or a wife, so he didn't know what he brought and just picked up a tupperware container that looked like his. And even though it was vegetable lasagna, it must have been a carnivore because unless you really inspected the food you wouldn't know that it didn't have meat in it and a vegetarian wouldn't take such a chance. (Apparently my friends are like me and have very wild imaginations!)

I jokingly said that my family wasn't having a good time of late: My parents lost their car and I lost a lunch. He asked me if I had insurance on my lunch to protect future theft.

So another co-worker braved the freezing cold with me (it was our coldest day of the season yet at minus 35 degrees) to go outside to get me a lunch. We walked down the street (about two blocks from our office) for a sandwich and a coffee.

Flash forward to around 2:30 p.m. I went back to the same mini kitchen to wash my coffee mug. There was another editor in there heating up a late lunch. We started talking about how much packaging is part of take out food around the office and whether take out lunches which came in styrofoam was better or if plastic was better. Then on a whim, I opened up the fridge door. I didn't really think about it. I wasn't really expecting to find anything in particular. But what was there on the bottom shelf? A blue tupperware container with vegetable lasagna in it!

I swear that it was not there when I first went looking for it. Someone must have taken it, realized that it wasn't theirs and brought it back to the fridge but by then I had already gotten a new lunch.

I burst out into laughter when I saw my lunch. The other editor must have thought I was nuts because I offered no explanation as to why I was laughing.

My co-workers fell out of their chairs laughing at me when I told them. At least I have a funny office story now. One of many to add to my repertoire!

Labels:

0 Responses to “Lost Lunch Saga”

Post a Comment



© 2006 Alexandria's Little Corner of the World | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health